Make the most of your time at the gym by avoiding these top time wasters. You’ll be surprised how much more you can accomplished, and you’ll be on the fast-track to great results.
1. Stop the light weights, high reps: Doing high repetitions with light weights will not get you the results you are looking for. Instead try to up the weights so you can do no more than 12-15 repetitions per set, maxing out your effort. With the end of each set, you’ll know you’ve worked your hardest.
2. Hit the Gym with a Plan: Make sure you go to the gym with a list of exercises and a cardio plan. Wandering aimlessly around the gym will not get you the results you are looking for.
3. Use Proper Form: Exercising without proper form is a major injury risk. Without proper form you are sabotaging great results.
4. Stop Over-Socializing: There is nothing wrong with making chit-chat at the gym, but spending all your time talking will keep your mind off of your muscle. You are also more likely to use improper form and not push your hardest when you are socializing. Stay focused for the time you are there.
5. Shorten Your Rest: Between sets you should rest 30-90 seconds maximum. You want to give your muscles a few moments to recover, but not enough to fully rest. There are a few theories behind this, but the general consensus is that you work deeper into the muscle tissue and will see greater gains in strength and development when you work at a faster pace.
6. Exercise Mindfully: Heading to the gym to repeat the same workout you’ve been doing for the last 6 months will produce the same results you’re already getting . Muscles become accustomed toautopilot stimulation and will adapt to your workout in no time. If you want to see changes, your workouts need change too. Keep your muscles guessing by mixing it up and you’re sure to see results.